Austin Humanists at Work has been operating with modified giveaways since June. Since June, we have gotten between 4-6 volunteers each giveaway. As Winter approaches we could use more folks to help distribute donations we have received from our Winter Warmth Drive going on from not until February 2021.
This is how our giveaways have been operating:
- Our volunteers will be masked , and will wash/sanitize hands during all aspects of our prep and giveaway.
- Everyone who volunteers at this time must be 18 years of age or older.
- All items will be bagged prior to the event.
- As stated above we are capping the amount of volunteers at our giveaways to 10.
- Our focus is to continue to offer our staple hygiene/ personal care items, non-perishable foods, and other select items to folks in Central Austin, doing so with no strings attached.
- Donations we seek to acquire are pre-packaged, single serving sizes of the following (CLICK HERE to go to our Amazon Food Wish List): Slim Jims, beef jerky, canned pull tab Vienna sausages, chicken and tuna packs, chicken and tuna salad snack packs, meal shakes, trail mix, nuts, peanut butter packs, fruit snacks, packs of crackers, and snack bars/ granola bars. Please, all must be non-perishable, cans need to be pull tab accessible, ready to eat, prepackaged and single serving. No at home portioning from larger supply. Thank you for understanding.
- An essential supply of travel size toiletries will also be in the bags. This list includes, depending on supply/ donations (CLICK HERE to go to our Amazon Main Wish List): soap, shampoo, conditioner, washcloth, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, razors, insect repellent, sun screen, toilet paper, men’s socks and menstrual kits. (We are stocked up on some things but not other, visit our WHAT WE NEED page to see what we currently are in dire need for donation)
- We also have a small supply of fabric masks for those who need them. If you would like to donated masks, we will happily keep handing them out. Thank you!
Our volunteers make three stop: our usual location at the under-bridge parking lot across from APD headquarters, an encampment not far from our regular giveaway spots, and returning to the same parking area at the 6th & 7th Streets side of the under-bridge parking lot. We will only be taking 10 volunteers, so if you’re interested in volunteering please email firstname.lastname@example.org, there is limited space available.
From October 2020 to February 2021 we will be collecting a list of items for our Winter Warmth Drive. Items like sleeping bags, tents, men’s jeans, warm shoes, coats are just a few of the things a person needs to help protect them from the Texas elements. Looking for service hours, or how you can help our organization, run your own Winter Warm Drive that will benefit our organization during this time. Click on our Keep Austin Warm and Dry for more information, and even a PDF for a printable flyer to display in your communities, or online.
We have two Amazon Wish Lists: Main Wish List and Food Wish List for the ease of donation or if you’d like to arrange pick up or drop off, please email email@example.com. Thank you.
Check out what we our Traffic Light List for all the things we are in most need for our giveaway bags. The Traffic Light List is an up to date list of items we need to most for our upcoming giveaways.
Our Gettin’ Knotty knitting guild is still meeting on Zoom, September 24, from 7-10pm. This group knits, crochets, sews masks, washcloths, hats and scarves which are distributed at our giveaways. Join their Facebook group fro more information or email Virginia Miller.
ATXHAW is supporting the efforts of Eat Apart Together (EAT), an initiative of Austin Public Health Department, to provide bags of shelf stable food to our unsheltered neighbors in North Austin. Our area is the I-35 corridor North of 183. Each bag will contain 12-15 pounds of food. For three Sundays a month at 8:30 a.m., then around 10:30- 11am after our 4th Sunday giveaways. Currently we have been operating with a team of 6 people, and 10 stops handing out 70 bags, and 70 gallons of water every Sunday. If have a vehicle that can transport 10-20 bags, and gallons jugs of water, we would love your help. Please email Virginia Miller for more information.
Austin Humanists at Work thanks everyone for their continued support of our organization. Now, more than ever, it is important to come together to help each other through this hard time and much uncertainty. Wishing everyone health, love, and peace.