We will be continuing our modified giveaway until further notice. Six volunteers gathered together last month and are happily inviting more up to a group of ten. See below what we are doing for our giveaways.
We are currently raising funds for food fill in purchases we make each month to hopefully fill each bag with 2000 calories. If you would like to help reach $1000 dollars which will provide enough of what we need until the end of 2020. Click here to donate to our Facebook Fundraising Drive. Not on Facebook, you can also donate to us through Paypal.
The giveaway will not look like it usually does. In order to adhere to recommended CDC and WHO guidelines, the following procedures will be put in place for our June 28th modified giveaway:
- Our volunteers will be masked , and will wash/sanitize hands during all aspects of our prep and giveaway.
- Everyone who volunteers at this time must be 18 years of age or older.
- All items will be bagged prior to the event.
- Keeping each aspect of our giveaway to no more than 10 volunteers at a time, and maintain social distancing. While this practice is not required by the state, we are trying to keep the impact of any risk low to our volunteers and those we serve.
- The focus will be on food. We anticipate serving about 200 folks and need community assistance through donation.
- Donations we seek to acquire are pre-packaged, single serving sizes of the following (CLICK HERE to go to our Amazon Food Wish List): Slim Jims, beef jerky, canned pull tab Vienna sausages, chicken and tuna packs, chicken and tuna salad snack packs, meal shakes, trail mix, nuts, peanut butter packs, fruit snacks, packs of crackers, and snack bars/ granola bars. Please, all must be non-perishable, cans need to be pull tab accessible, ready to eat, prepackaged and single serving. No at home portioning from larger supply. Thank you for understanding.
- An essential supply of travel size toiletries will also be in the bags. This list includes, depending on supply/ donations (CLICK HERE to go to our Amazon Main Wish List): soap, shampoo, conditioner, washcloth, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, razors, insect repellent, sun screen, toilet paper, men’s socks and menstrual kits. (We are stocked up on some things but not other, visit our WHAT WE NEED page to see what we currently are in dire need for donation)
- We also have a small supply of fabric masks for those who need them. If you would like to donated masks, we will happily keep handing them out. Thank you!
Our volunteers will be making three stops since not all who we serve are all congregating under the bridge these days. We will be handing out bags at our usual location, an encampment not far from our regular giveaway spots, and returning to the same parking area at the 6th Street side of the under-bridge parking lot. We will only be taking 10 volunteers, so if you’re interested in volunteering please email firstname.lastname@example.org, there is limited space available.
We have two Amazon Wish Lists: Main Wish List and Food Wish List for the ease of donation or if you’d like to arrange pick up or drop off, please email email@example.com. Thank you.
Check out what we our Traffic Light List for all the things we are in most need for our giveaway bags.
Our Gettin’ Knotty knitting guild is still meeting virtually, July 23, from 7-10pm.
Austin Humanists at Work thanks everyone for their continued support of our organization. Now, more than ever, it is important to come together to help each other through this hard time and much uncertainty. Wishing everyone health, love, and peace.