Since April, Austin Humanist at Work has been working hard to maintain what we’ve always done in central Austin, Texas and has been building our reach in the community as much as possible. We are so proud to do what we do that we couldn’t possibly pass up the opportunity to celebrate our half Birthday working under our new name. Austin Humanists at Work has not only encompassed more of who we are as a grassroots organization, but has opened doors to help our community more.
Each month we work feverishly to collect as many pieces of personal care items like bathing products, non-perishable/ ready to eat foods, back packs, clothing and so much more. We do our best to accurately count all donated items by individual pieces and the record was 4,142 pieces in the month of December, 2015. So in honor of our half Birthday, we are running a Piece Drive to collect a record breaking 5000 pieces. Pieces are what keeps us moving forward and helping as many people as we can each month at our Giveaway. What can you do to help us put all the pieces together?
- Reach out to your local neighborhoods and communities to collect items off our list. Click here to check our list.
- *Note* We will accept items from any of the Traffic Light sections. The list breaks down what we are in most need of from least to greatest.
- Spread the worked via Facbook, Next Door, email, or any forum you participate in.
- You don’t have to be local or require us to pick up donations with our handy Amazon Wishlist. Deliveries will come right to our mailbox with a click of a button.
- Run community collection with your family, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts or any volunteer group at school or in your local area.
Specific things that are not on our list that we get from time to time but never have enough of:
- back packs, rolling suitcases
- men’s clothing (pants, shirts)
- sleeping mats
- lightly used clean towels
- winter items: coats, scarves, gloves, boots
- crocheted or knitted washcloths, scarves, hats, gloves, check out our Gettin’ Knotty Guild for more information.
With our Piece Drive lets also kick off our annual push for warm clothing and accessories. It’s hard to believe that it could ever cool down with how muggy and hot it’s been but we need to start thinking about winter right around the bend. If you are looking to purchase a new coat or winter items this year, please consider donating them to Austin Humanists at Work.
We are looking for clean, gently used or new warm hats, gloves, scarves, coats, clothing, blankets, sleeping bags, boots to help Keep Austin Warm! this winter. If you’d like to help spread the word, download and print these flyers to advertise in your communities or share this information on Facebook, Twitter, Next Door or your location community list serv.
Everyone with Austin Humanists at Work would like to thank our volunteers and donors for your continued support. This is our third year as an organization and it’s been 6 months since our name change and you all haven’t skipped a beat. We could not do any of this with out you. Thank you!
Keep checking back to see updates.
October 2016 Piece Drive